Skip to main content

Confessions of an Independent Turned Libertarian

How many people reading this truly remember September 11, 2001?  Do you remember exactly how you felt, or has the passage of time muted those feelings?

My daughter said this past year, on the eleventh anniversary of 9/11, that really, her class was the last one that truly remembers anything about that day.  She may be right, but even then, I think most of us have forgotten so much.  Especially those of us who weren't in New York City, Shanksville, or Washington D.C.  

We were scared, in a way I don't think the American public has been scared since Pearl Harbor or the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Pearl Harbor was our entry to World War II.  The Cuban Missile Crisis gave stronger legs to the Cold War and also to our involvement in Vietnam.  9/11 gave us the ongoing war in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act.  

If you look at the numbers, at the time, for the approval of the Patriot Act, they were high.  People wanted to be safe.  While there were lone detractors, most Americans were willing to sacrifice a little in the name of safety.  Of course, in all honesty, the Patriot Act, as it exists now, is far worse than it was in the first days of its passage, but that's the way government works.  We were scared, and we consented to a reduction in freedom for safety.

Today, we are bowing under the burden of multiple government scandals, the biggest one being the revelation that the National Security Agency (NSA), is monitoring the phone records of Verizon customers, and monitoring the internet actions of members of Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and even Facebook.  It seems the places we spend the most time, the government has decided concerns of our National Security.  Who we talk to, when we talk to them, where we are calling them from, how long we talk to them, what we share on facebook, what we search for on the internet via search engines.  It's crazy, right?  

There were voices crying in the wilderness that this would happen, way back when the Patriot Act was first passed, but most people brushed those voices aside.

I was one of those people who brushed aside the warnings, and I'm here to confess.  I was wrong.  Whether or not the this monstrous intrusiveness was initiated under the Bush Administration or the Obama Administration, I was wrong.  Even if the original intent of the Patriot Act was only to track the activities of those suspected of terrorism, I was wrong.  With the exponential growth of the Government, year after year, Administration after Administration, it was foolish for anyone to believe that we wouldn't eventually come to this point.  Power corrupts, you know.  I was scared, and I wasn't thinking long term or down the road.  I was thinking only that my world had changed dramatically, in just a few hours, and my children would be forced to grow up in this new world, which was far more frightening than the old world.  I was wrong.

What puzzles me, is that the voices that were so clear, those voices in the wilderness back in the aftermath of 9/11, many of those voices are notoriously silent.  Some are even defending this policy, now, when under a different President, they were screaming bloody murder.  I've started to think many of those voices were simply partisan voices, trying to undermine one administration.   Especially those voices going on during the election of 2004. Where are they now? 

I was wrong.  The overreaching power grab by the Bush Administration, backed by a bipartisan majority of the Congress and Senate was wrong.  And if it was so wrong back then, it's even more wrong today.  Anyone who decried that action nine years ago, but is silent today, is the worst kind of hypocrite.  The actions didn't get better, they got worse, as is almost always the case when the government seizes control of something new.  If it was bad then, if it was a civil liberties violation then, it is even more so now.  

I realized a few months ago, that I never quite understood Patrick Henry's speech on the floor of Congress.  I never quite understood what he meant.  If I had, I would have been less supportive of the Patriot Act, and more supportive of the voices in the wilderness, now gone silent.  "Give me liberty or give me death."

I'd rather face the barrel of a gun, than face the erosion of my freedom.  That's what Mr. Henry meant, and that's what, in our fear, in our life altering moment, that's what we forgot.

Do you remember how you felt on September 11?  I do, and it doesn't change that I was wrong.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Observations 10-26

I generally stick to writing my own stuff, not posting the writing of other people. My whole point in having a blog is to have my voice heard. Maybe that's a little narcissistic. You will have to decide. I have, however, decided to have a feature in this blog called Observations, where I take something I've read, and share it with you. Then I'll make my own comments. (I can't not comment. It will kill me haha.) So, from this morning's reading: From Mary Mapes's monster Share Post Print October 26, 2008 Posted by Scott at 7:04 AM In 2004 Mary Mapes was the celebrated CBS News producer responsible for stories that had won her the recognition of her peers. In September that year she produced Dan Rather's 60 Minutes II report on President Bush's military service that was exposed as fraudulent the following day. CBS commissioned an internal investigation (the Thornburgh-Boccardi report) demonstrating in detail

The Taking Down of a Soundbite.

I saw this cartoon this morning on Facebook, and I thought "wow, what a bunch of fallacies."  This cartoon embodies the majority of Democratic Talking Points since 2008 (with a notable absence of the "War on Women" theme... hmm... wonder why).  The thing with this cartoon is, many of these arguments can't be boiled down into signs.  They aren't bumper sticker slogans.  They are real issues, with much deeper thought processes.  I'm going to take just a few. 1) We want dirtier air and water so CEO's can make more money. This issue has to do with the Environment.  It stems from things like the Kyoto Protocol, and various other internationally pushed treaties to help prevent Global Warming, er um... sorry, Climate Change.  Recently our President made a deal with China, whereby we cut our Greenhouse Gas Emissions, while they commit to maybe, possibly, making changes 20 years down the road.  The problem with all of these solutions is that they cost

When Feelings (and apparently Justices) Don't Need Facts

I have a few questions about the vaccine mandate that no one seems to be able to answer.  The mandate makes little sense to me, because of these questions. If those who want to be vaccinated, are vaccinated, and the vaccines effectively protect against serious illness and death in most cases, then what is the compelling interest in forcing the vaccine on people who don't want it?   We now know (despite previous statements to the contrary) that the COVID-19 vaccine does not prevent a person from catching and spreading the virus.  If you need proof of that, look to major sports in the US.  Despite the vast majority of players being vaccinated, COVID has spread like wildfire through the ranks of the NBA, NFL and NHL.  It got so bad in the NFL that they changed their policies. So, if a vaccinated person can spread and catch the virus, how exactly does the mandate protect anyone?   Does the mandate violate equal protection under the law by requiring vaccine mandates for business with 10