Skip to main content

To Those Who Never Got Involved.

I posted Steve Taylor lyrics to facebook last night, from his song "Whatever Happened to Sin". At the time, I was thinking about the church today, and how so many churches are preaching a feel good, social justice gospel in order to make themselves more acceptable to the masses.  

Today I realized how appropriate those lyrics truly were,  not just to the church, but to our political scene today.

I remember after the election, seeing posts on facebook where people were talking about how they didn't really speak out during the election, but now there were things going on they just couldn't keep silent about.  Those posts made me angry.  Most of the things that were so upsetting after the election were going on well before the election and during the election.  Suddenly deciding to speak up now, when the damage is already done, seemed to me to be a case of "too little, too late". 

You see, I believe we have a duty to at least TRY to make a difference when it comes to the things we believe in.  Putting your head in the sand and not speaking out, for whatever reason, is a cowardly move.  This will make people angry.  I get it.  We don't want to upset our friends or family.  We want to keep the peace.  I truly do understand that.  Those things, however, do not let us off the hook.  It just doesn't. 

I can go back to that old saying from Germany during World War 2, about how someone didn't speak up, and when they came to take him, there was no one left to speak up for him.  But we've heard that one before.

It's quite simple.  If you don't speak out when it counts, when you could make a difference, when you could challenge the status quo, or all the news that fits the narrative, then really, how much right do you have to complain now?

In case you are still sitting there saying "But, people will delete me off facebook, or stop talking to me, or get angry, or..."

I have had 2 family members delete me and block me on facebook.  Not because I said something hateful to them.  Not because I was mean or horrid.  Simply because I had the nerve to post an opinion different than theirs.  I challenged their assumptions, and this made me persona non grata.   They were constantly posting things that challenged my assumptions.  They made me look deeper into what I thought.  In many cases, they didn't change my opinion, but I became much more capable of defending my own position, because I was forced to see the other side.  I welcome this.  I guess they didn't.  And while occasionally it still stings, I refuse to stop speaking out. 

I have been called a bigot, a racist, homophobic.  I have been told I am more concerned with other women's sex lives and that's why I"m pro-life.  I have been told I am annoying and useless.  And yet I still speak out.

The ability to speak out, to challenge, to verbalize our opinions is one of the foundations of society.  If it wasn't for people speaking out, there would have never been a Revolutionary War, the Abolitionists Movement, Women's Suffrage, Civil Rights.  All of those things challenged in a deep, profound, life-changing way, the status quo.  People, individual people, made a difference.  

So I will continue speaking out, and I'm challenging you to do the same.  

I'll leave you with this little tidbit, from Steve Taylor's song:

If you don't care now
How the problems get solved
You can shake your head later
That you never got involved

'Cause the call came ringing
From the throne of gold
But you never got the message 
'Cause your mind's on hold 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Observations 10-26

I generally stick to writing my own stuff, not posting the writing of other people. My whole point in having a blog is to have my voice heard. Maybe that's a little narcissistic. You will have to decide. I have, however, decided to have a feature in this blog called Observations, where I take something I've read, and share it with you. Then I'll make my own comments. (I can't not comment. It will kill me haha.) So, from this morning's reading: From Mary Mapes's monster Share Post Print October 26, 2008 Posted by Scott at 7:04 AM In 2004 Mary Mapes was the celebrated CBS News producer responsible for stories that had won her the recognition of her peers. In September that year she produced Dan Rather's 60 Minutes II report on President Bush's military service that was exposed as fraudulent the following day. CBS commissioned an internal investigation (the Thornburgh-Boccardi report) demonstrating in detail

The Taking Down of a Soundbite.

I saw this cartoon this morning on Facebook, and I thought "wow, what a bunch of fallacies."  This cartoon embodies the majority of Democratic Talking Points since 2008 (with a notable absence of the "War on Women" theme... hmm... wonder why).  The thing with this cartoon is, many of these arguments can't be boiled down into signs.  They aren't bumper sticker slogans.  They are real issues, with much deeper thought processes.  I'm going to take just a few. 1) We want dirtier air and water so CEO's can make more money. This issue has to do with the Environment.  It stems from things like the Kyoto Protocol, and various other internationally pushed treaties to help prevent Global Warming, er um... sorry, Climate Change.  Recently our President made a deal with China, whereby we cut our Greenhouse Gas Emissions, while they commit to maybe, possibly, making changes 20 years down the road.  The problem with all of these solutions is that they cost

When Feelings (and apparently Justices) Don't Need Facts

I have a few questions about the vaccine mandate that no one seems to be able to answer.  The mandate makes little sense to me, because of these questions. If those who want to be vaccinated, are vaccinated, and the vaccines effectively protect against serious illness and death in most cases, then what is the compelling interest in forcing the vaccine on people who don't want it?   We now know (despite previous statements to the contrary) that the COVID-19 vaccine does not prevent a person from catching and spreading the virus.  If you need proof of that, look to major sports in the US.  Despite the vast majority of players being vaccinated, COVID has spread like wildfire through the ranks of the NBA, NFL and NHL.  It got so bad in the NFL that they changed their policies. So, if a vaccinated person can spread and catch the virus, how exactly does the mandate protect anyone?   Does the mandate violate equal protection under the law by requiring vaccine mandates for business with 10