Skip to main content

Small Bites, Edition 3, April 23, 2021

 So, I took an unexpected break.  I have bosses who need to use vacation time.  Vacation time for bosses, means more working hours for me.  I don't mind, I have great bosses, and they richly deserve all their time off.  However, when I'm working all those hours, I don't have time for much else.  I'm trying so hard to make this more regular, I promise.  On that note, here's your third edition of Small Bites.

This week, a jury convicted Officer Derek Chavin of one count of second degree murder, one count of third degree murder, and one count of manslaughter.  The third degree murder charge, per Minnesota standards didn't even apply, but hey, whatever.  Derek Chauvin should go to prison.  I don't believe he was the sole cause of the death of George Floyd, but he was partly responsible.  What do I mean?  He didn't inject Floyd with a lethal overdose of fentanyl.  He didn't block his coronary arteries either.  He did however fail to address the obvious medical issue Floyd was having, and that makes him complicit in the man's death.  For that, he should be going to prison.  However, some of our more vocal citizens may have made that not possible.  Maxine Waters should have stayed home, instead of going to Minnesota and inciting violence.  The Minneapolis Star Tribune should have avoided printing nameless in depth biographies of the jurors in their newspaper on the very day the jury was to start deliberating.  BLM shouldn't have threatened to burn down the city if they didn't get the verdict they wanted.  All of those things could give the defense the opportunity to appeal for a mistrial.  The judge in the case even said as much.  And at least one juror has said "I didn't want the city burning down again.  I was afraid they would come after me."  Yikes.

Apparently Loudon County in Virginia is going to do away with advanced math classes for anyone under 11th grade.  No more honors math for your kids!  Way to deprive math geniuses of their chance in the STEM fields, especially female kids.  All this is supposed to be in the name of equity.  Here's the thing. Not every kid, no matter how smart, is good enough in every subject to take advanced classes.  The ones who are should have the opportunity to do so.  Depriving them of that opportunity in the name of equity is just plain stupid.

I have a message for certain members of our elite, and by elite I mean, politicians, actors, and CEOs.  (I use elite in the loosest way possible, since I don't truly believe those people are better than me.) Stop telling black people they are too dumb, backward, poor or whatever, to do simple things.  It's denigrating, even when you clothe it in kente cloth, kneeling, and anti-racism.  You can't buy alcohol without ID.  You can't board a plane without ID. You can't buy a gun without ID.  You can't go visit the White House...oh wait, nevermind, you can't do that anyway because it's behind a fence.  My point is, you can't get through life without a photo ID.  So claiming that needing one to vote is somehow racist, is pretty much claiming that living life is racist.  And claiming that, particularly, minority people are unable to do something required to participate in life is just... well, it's racist.  So please, stop.

Lebron James targeted a police officer, and then deleted the tweet, when it caused more hate.  Duh.  It's obvious King James was drafted right out of high school, because I would hope a college attendee would realize that posting a picture of a police officer saying "you're next" is inviting the kind of hate one purports to be against.  That is to say, hate not involving hating on white people, cops, and anything the Chinese government hates.  Chinese government hate is good.  It wasn't hate that was being spread by the way.  It was people calling out James because apparently he cared more about the knife wielding criminal then the poor black girl about to be gutted.  Tweet deleted, but not before everyone basically called him the fool that he is.  

Which leads me to a reflective moment.  Why do we care so much what actors, sports stars and mediocre pop singers think?  These are people who pretend to be someone else, play a game, or get auto-tuned for a living.  They aren't better than us just because they have their mug on our TV screen.  They aren't more altruistic or morally superior.  They are there to entertain us, not to educate us.  Pardon me for sounding like a horrible person, but I don't want them educating me.  Most of them just aren't that smart.  Yet we have made them our de facto spokespeople.  Why?  It's sad that they think they have the ability to influence the way we think, or maybe it's sad that we actually let them influence the way we think.  

Yeah, that's it from me.  Until next time....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Taking Down of a Soundbite.

I saw this cartoon this morning on Facebook, and I thought "wow, what a bunch of fallacies."  This cartoon embodies the majority of Democratic Talking Points since 2008 (with a notable absence of the "War on Women" theme... hmm... wonder why).  The thing with this cartoon is, many of these arguments can't be boiled down into signs.  They aren't bumper sticker slogans.  They are real issues, with much deeper thought processes.  I'm going to take just a few. 1) We want dirtier air and water so CEO's can make more money. This issue has to do with the Environment.  It stems from things like the Kyoto Protocol, and various other internationally pushed treaties to help prevent Global Warming, er um... sorry, Climate Change.  Recently our President made a deal with China, whereby we cut our Greenhouse Gas Emissions, while they commit to maybe, possibly, making changes 20 years down the road.  The problem with all of these solutions is that they cost

When Feelings (and apparently Justices) Don't Need Facts

I have a few questions about the vaccine mandate that no one seems to be able to answer.  The mandate makes little sense to me, because of these questions. If those who want to be vaccinated, are vaccinated, and the vaccines effectively protect against serious illness and death in most cases, then what is the compelling interest in forcing the vaccine on people who don't want it?   We now know (despite previous statements to the contrary) that the COVID-19 vaccine does not prevent a person from catching and spreading the virus.  If you need proof of that, look to major sports in the US.  Despite the vast majority of players being vaccinated, COVID has spread like wildfire through the ranks of the NBA, NFL and NHL.  It got so bad in the NFL that they changed their policies. So, if a vaccinated person can spread and catch the virus, how exactly does the mandate protect anyone?   Does the mandate violate equal protection under the law by requiring vaccine mandates for business with 10

Observations 10-26

I generally stick to writing my own stuff, not posting the writing of other people. My whole point in having a blog is to have my voice heard. Maybe that's a little narcissistic. You will have to decide. I have, however, decided to have a feature in this blog called Observations, where I take something I've read, and share it with you. Then I'll make my own comments. (I can't not comment. It will kill me haha.) So, from this morning's reading: From Mary Mapes's monster Share Post Print October 26, 2008 Posted by Scott at 7:04 AM In 2004 Mary Mapes was the celebrated CBS News producer responsible for stories that had won her the recognition of her peers. In September that year she produced Dan Rather's 60 Minutes II report on President Bush's military service that was exposed as fraudulent the following day. CBS commissioned an internal investigation (the Thornburgh-Boccardi report) demonstrating in detail