Skip to main content

Oh wow... I really did take a break

I had not expected to be gone this long but as I mentioned in the very beginnings of this blog, I am sick of politics. I have continued to read the news, but all I really do is ... read. I haven't really had any desire to comment on anything I've read. I've simply been sitting back and watching.

Current things in the news:

North Korea has threatened the U.S.
Iranian leaders crushed (literally) dissent in the recent elections
The Honduras Congress and Supreme Court ruled that the president couldn't unconstitutionally seek a third term
The US Congress barely passed a "Cap and Trade" bill
Both the US Congress and Senate are pushing for a huge health care overhaul
Michael Jackson died

There are six things posted above, and just to be fun, can anyone guess which one of those things is getting the most news coverage?

Yes, you are correct. It's Michael Jackson.

Let me start by saying this: It's a tragedy that Michael Jackson died at the age of 50. He was, by no means, an old man. I haven't been following the news religiously, so I don't know if there has been an official finding as to the cause of death. (yes, he died of cardiac arrest, but the truth is, everyone dies of cardiac arrest. That happens when your heart stops beating, which is what is required for you to...die.) However, there was a quite a bit on the rumor mill about him taking a lot of pain killers, and one news report said they found a powerful sedative in his home. The past 10 years have not been particularly kind to the "King of Pop", and it's highly possible that, even accidentally, he is responsible for the condition that lead to his eventual death. We have lost a great musical talent, but this isn't the first time. Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, Bon Scott, John Bonham, Elvis Presley, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Kurt Cobain, just to name a few. Unfortunately, in all but 1 of the cases listed above, drugs and/or alcohol played a part in their death. It appears that becoming a rock star is bad for your health, yes?

There is a point to this. Of the 6 things listed above, Michael Jackson's death is the least impacting to Americans. Yes, I said it, and I'll say it again if necessary. What we seem to forget about our celebrities is that they are all too human. Thousands of people in this country die every day, and other than the fact that Michael Jackson spent most of his life in the public spotlight, he is still a person, just like you, just like me. The bigger problems in life don't take a break because a famous person died.

What bothers me (so much so, that I threw the remote at the TV on Saturday Morning), is that to our News Organizations, all of them, Michael Jackson's death is the most important thing. I don't see it that way.


We appear to have a serious issue these days - with celebrity. Does anyone remember the hoopla over Princess Diana? Now we have a repeat with Michael Jackson. Let's not forget the hours "Octomom" spent in the news. Or how about those two paragons of parental virtue who live so close to me...John & Kate?

Honestly, why do we care? It's not that I'm arguing against compassion, but I am arguing that such people take up too much of our thoughts, our time, and yes even our adoration. They have become like gods, and the obsession with their lives have become a drug.

Meanwhile, our Congress spends more money, puts us deeper in debt, the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and I can't find a decent news story on anything but...Michael Jackson.

This is why, my friends, the majority of Americans don't trust the news media.

Until Next Time....






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Taking Down of a Soundbite.

I saw this cartoon this morning on Facebook, and I thought "wow, what a bunch of fallacies."  This cartoon embodies the majority of Democratic Talking Points since 2008 (with a notable absence of the "War on Women" theme... hmm... wonder why).  The thing with this cartoon is, many of these arguments can't be boiled down into signs.  They aren't bumper sticker slogans.  They are real issues, with much deeper thought processes.  I'm going to take just a few. 1) We want dirtier air and water so CEO's can make more money. This issue has to do with the Environment.  It stems from things like the Kyoto Protocol, and various other internationally pushed treaties to help prevent Global Warming, er um... sorry, Climate Change.  Recently our President made a deal with China, whereby we cut our Greenhouse Gas Emissions, while they commit to maybe, possibly, making changes 20 years down the road.  The problem with all of these solutions is that they cost

June

    So I have spent the last few days thinking about writing a blog post, but I have so many things going around in my head, I was having trouble deciding on just one.  Today, I decided to just start writing and see what comes out.  It may very well be word vomit, and for that I apologize.   I wanted to talk about banning books.  We seemed to have become very confused on what exactly banning books means.  Refusing to stock sexually explicit books in an elementary school is not banning books, especially if you can go on Amazon and order that book and have it delivered to you the next day.  I spent most of my life in conservative Christian schools.  And yet, from 6th grade on, I developed an intense fascination with the writer, John Saul.  He wrote horror books.  I also really had a thing for the Sweet Valley High books (yes, my tastes were all over the map.)  Neither one of those books could be found in my Christian School library, but somehow I managed to read them all.  They were effe

Small Bites End of Year Edition - Sports, COVID and Idiocy in 2021

  So, as it's Christmas Season, I work 4 days a week and spend the other three on schoolwork, and I can guarantee, unless something juicy happens that demands a full blog, this will be my last Small Bites of the year.  I really hope to do better next year.  My apologies. The news hit today the Brown/Raiders, Seahawks/Ram and Eagles/Team Formerly Known as the Redskins games will be rescheduled.  Anyone who thought the NFL was going to let any games be forfeited is taking some really good drugs.  At no point, and especially during playoff races, did the NFL ever have any intention of a game not getting played.  Also, their policy was specific in that it related to unvaccinated players, and not vaccinated players, and most of the 100 players currently in COVID protocols are vaccinated.  Apparently, the NFL is the number one proving ground for the idea, promoted not just by fringe "anti-vaxxers" that vaccinated people can contract and spread COVID.   If you want to throw that