Skip to main content

Fed Up

I saw a picture this morning on my facebook that put me over the edge.  It compared defense spending to universal healthcare.  It actually implied that funding our military is a form of imperialistic militarism, but that universal healthcare was not the government taking over our lives.

The two are not comparable.  Funding the military is one of the very few things the constitution gives the federal government the right to do.  You know, as opposed to education, arts, green energy, etc etc etc. 

The comments made me even more angry.  A lot of conservatives actually support cuts to defense spending, since the government is known for unnecessary spending in EVERY aspect of the budget.  I have no problem with cutting defense spending.  I do have a problem when those cuts come to the benefits of the men and women who risk their lives so people can make dumb comments on a facebook picture.

Telling me I have to purchase insurance, and that it has to conform to the standards set out by the Federal Government is intruding into my life.  I'm stuck with a plan that covers in vitro fertilization and birth control, neither of which I need.  But i don't have the option of purchasing insurance that covers what I need it to cover.  

Please tell me how an unelected,  unaccountable board of 15 people, who decide what treatment and medication I get is not an intrusion into the Doctor/Patient relationship.  The sole purpose of the board is to keep costs down, and to keep costs down you have to limit what people can get. No different than the current insurance system, only now it's the government making the decisions, not the insurance company.  And if costs spiral out of control,  you'll still pay more, only now you don't have the option to just not pay for it. Now, you have to.  You can't refuse to pay taxes unless moving to the nearest federal prison is on your list of things to do.

Here's the rub.  I have no problem helping people who truly need it.  But don't tell me you can't afford health insurance when  you have a flat screen tv, a new computer, smart phones, a new haircut every other month,  you get your nails done, you go out to eat..  Yes, you CAN afford it, you just choose other things over that.  That is your choice.  But I sure as heck shouldn't have to pay for the choices you make.

I don't have a flat screen tv, or a smart phone.   I get my hair trimmed when It's necessary (twice a year).  i don't get my nails done.  The last time my husband and I went out to dinner was Valentine's Day.  I make sacrifices so I can have the things i need.  Health insurance is one of those things I need.  We have to pay partially for it.  And that means I give up other things I don't need.

So yeah, I'm fed up with the people who  think they should be able to have those of us who make the hard choices ,fork over the money so they don't have to.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Feelings (and apparently Justices) Don't Need Facts

I have a few questions about the vaccine mandate that no one seems to be able to answer.  The mandate makes little sense to me, because of these questions. If those who want to be vaccinated, are vaccinated, and the vaccines effectively protect against serious illness and death in most cases, then what is the compelling interest in forcing the vaccine on people who don't want it?   We now know (despite previous statements to the contrary) that the COVID-19 vaccine does not prevent a person from catching and spreading the virus.  If you need proof of that, look to major sports in the US.  Despite the vast majority of players being vaccinated, COVID has spread like wildfire through the ranks of the NBA, NFL and NHL.  It got so bad in the NFL that they changed their policies. So, if a vaccinated person can spread and catch the virus, how exactly does the mandate protect anyone?   Does the mandate violate equal protection under the law by requiring vaccine mandates for business with 10

Observations 10-26

I generally stick to writing my own stuff, not posting the writing of other people. My whole point in having a blog is to have my voice heard. Maybe that's a little narcissistic. You will have to decide. I have, however, decided to have a feature in this blog called Observations, where I take something I've read, and share it with you. Then I'll make my own comments. (I can't not comment. It will kill me haha.) So, from this morning's reading: From Mary Mapes's monster Share Post Print October 26, 2008 Posted by Scott at 7:04 AM In 2004 Mary Mapes was the celebrated CBS News producer responsible for stories that had won her the recognition of her peers. In September that year she produced Dan Rather's 60 Minutes II report on President Bush's military service that was exposed as fraudulent the following day. CBS commissioned an internal investigation (the Thornburgh-Boccardi report) demonstrating in detail

The Taking Down of a Soundbite.

I saw this cartoon this morning on Facebook, and I thought "wow, what a bunch of fallacies."  This cartoon embodies the majority of Democratic Talking Points since 2008 (with a notable absence of the "War on Women" theme... hmm... wonder why).  The thing with this cartoon is, many of these arguments can't be boiled down into signs.  They aren't bumper sticker slogans.  They are real issues, with much deeper thought processes.  I'm going to take just a few. 1) We want dirtier air and water so CEO's can make more money. This issue has to do with the Environment.  It stems from things like the Kyoto Protocol, and various other internationally pushed treaties to help prevent Global Warming, er um... sorry, Climate Change.  Recently our President made a deal with China, whereby we cut our Greenhouse Gas Emissions, while they commit to maybe, possibly, making changes 20 years down the road.  The problem with all of these solutions is that they cost